(I'm working this read-through in Adobe InDesign, rather than the usual Microsoft Word.)
Notes for myself after having read the first two chapters:
- Words are hyphenated at the ends of lines. How do I fix that?
- I need to change double hyphens to a single-lined dash.
- I need to fix straight quotation marks to curled quotation marks.
- Some pages have a random space at the bottom of the page.
- Does a sentence that ends with an ellipsis end with three periods or four?
I've rewritten very little--just some unneeded words removed, some change of word order, and minor changes in dialogue. I expect to add more later in the book.
- Figured out how to make double hyphens into dashes.
- It appears from research that an ellipsis at the end of a sentence to denote a trailing off of speech or thought ends with the ellipsis and a period...hmmmm....
- InDesign is an incredibly versatile program, but that also makes its complex. Thank God I've got someone who knows the program and who will teach me if I take him out to the local internet cafe.
Copyright 2010 by Thomas L. Kepler, all rights reserved