"Join Our Agent-judged Contest with Literary Agent Kathleen Ortiz of Lowenstein Associates: contest opens June 1st..."
And so I did.
I copied to an open file the one-line pitch and the first chapter, removing some formatting features that the submission form probably wouldn't recognize.
To enter the contest:
- Agent Kathleen Ortiz of Lowenstein Associates will be judging our next contest.
- Opens Tuesday June 1, 2010 at 9:00 PM EST
- Only 100 entries will be accepted
- Genres: Young Adult and Middle Grade only (next month's contest will be adult only.)
This contest is not for whiners! It is only open to those who are willing to receive honest feedback. Ms. Ortiz will:
- You must have a free QueryTracker membership
- You must submit a one-sentence pitch (helpful links below) and your first chapter
- Your submission will be accepted on the submission form (won't be available until the contest opens)
- DO NOT EMAIL YOUR SUBMISSION DIRECTLY TO THE AGENT. You will be disqualified if you do.
- Treat every entry as a partial submission
- Read every entry TO THE POINT SHE WOULD NORMALLY STOP READING on a partial submission
- She will tell you why she stopped reading
- She will request more of the manuscript only if it is something she would normally request.
I sat before my computer at 7:58 CST, logged on at QueryTracker.
The submission form popped onto the site at 8:00. I entered the data, double-checked, and at 8:02 pressed "submit."
As I saw the "submission accepted" acknowledgment, lightning cracked the sky and thunder shook the window.
"It was a dark and stormy night..."
Copyright 2010 by Thomas L. Kepler, all rights reserved
Information regarding the contest from QueryTracker.net